The Village Planner manages zoning for the Village, answers all zoning questions that arise from other department staff and/or residents, and makes determinations independently. This position is responsible for enforcement of the Village’s Land Development Code, and other ordinances dealing with Land Development. This position interprets land development codes, accepts, and processes land development applications, responds to planning and zoning inquiries, and prepares and presents planning and zoning hearings to the Village Council. This position also reviews site plans for compliance with local regulations for physical development within the community. This position is responsible for land rewrite and updates to the land development code.
Application – https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/palmettobay
Supervision Received and Exercised
Works under the general supervision of the Community & Economic Development Director and may be responsible for the supervision of Planning & zoning staff in the absence of the Department Director. Exercises considerable independent judgment and discretion in developing courses of action and recommendations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Processes land use site plan and zoning applications relevant to the preparation of backup information and prepares backup reports and information for various official boards, municipal administrators, and the village council.
- Provides pertinent information to the village clerk required for public hearing notices in a timely manner
- Collects, compiles, tabulates, and analyzes data and factual materials fundamental to a comprehensive planning program.
- Reviews development plans for adherence to land use requirements and conducts field inspections of area developments.
- Reviews site plans for compliance with local regulations for physical development within the community.
- assists the director in formulating recommendations for amendments to the comprehensive plan and land development regulations for submittal to the village manager
- Prepares portions of the comprehensive plan and land development regulations.
- Develops implementation strategies for the goals and objectives of the comprehensive plan.
- Answers zoning and planning questions as necessary and disseminates information to the public on planning, zoning, and development regulations. Makes interpretative decisions regarding zoning and development regulations independently.
- Performs Zoning Building Permit reviews.
- Performs Zoning inspections in the field when needed.
- Works with and helps develop GIS systems and performs data analysis and updates land use maps as applicable
- Performs any other related duties as required
- Requires a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in land planning, architecture, business, public administration, civil engineering, construction management, or other related field.
- Three to five (3- 5) years of administrative and management experience in land planning is preferred. Related experience beyond the required three years may substitute educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification and GIS Professional certification preferred.
- Requires a valid State of Florida driver’s license, and the ability to maintain a satisfactory driving record throughout employment.
Working Conditions and Physical Factors
- Work is primarily performed indoors in an office environment
- Must have the use of sensory skills to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through the use of the telephone, email and personal contact
- The job requires light work: exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force to move objects.
- Requires the physical capability to effectively use and operate various office equipment, such as but not limited to, a telephone, desktop computer, calculator, copier, scanner, fax machine, etc.
- Requires no significant standing, walking, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, pushing, or pulling.