This is highly responsible administrative work assisting the Director in planning, assigning, directing and reviewing the activities of professional, technical and clerical staff engaged in the compilation, analysis and interpretation of data and policies in the Planning & Development Services Department. Acts as the Department Director in the absence of the Director. Serves in a key manager capacity, with considerable independent judgment, representing the City Manager as needed. Performance is reviewed from an overall standpoint through reports submitted, conferences, and results obtained.
Examples of Duties
Essential Job Functions
- Assists in planning, evaluating and directing departmental policies, programs and operations through division supervisors.
- Assist in overseeing the functions of the Planning & Zoning Division, Landscape Division and Building Division.
- Assists with the preparation and implementation of division budgets and makes procedural and operational recommendations to City management through work plans.
- Assists in the formulation and administration of the City’s Comprehensive Plan and Land Development Code.
- Provide assistance and information to the public regarding requirements for development.
- Evaluates division activities through a review of work plans, conferences and inspections.
- Coordinate, develop, evaluate, monitor, and train staff.
- Initiate and recommend such personnel actions as hiring, disciplining, counseling, training, promotion and pay increases.
- Develop and interpret policies, methods, procedures and work performance for the administration and operation of the department.
- Meet regularly with executive staff to discuss status of projects, programs, plans, resolve problems, and related issues affecting the department.
- Represent staff at Community Appearance Board, Planning and Zoning Board, City Commission and other public hearings and meetings.
- Assist in directing all in-house planning projects, planning studies, research, data collection and analysis.
- Assist in creating procedures and techniques for gathering City’s necessary planning data for implementing the growth management policy objectives.
- Coordinate City’s planning activities with county, regional, and State planning agencies.
- Serve as a liaison, meeting with development professionals, developers, community groups, and the public regarding development proposals, zoning information, and City’s planning policies and activities.
- Respond to and follow-up on all requests received from citizens, elected officials, agencies, City employees and/or clients, and general public on an as needed basis.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Master’s Degree in Planning or related field and at least five (5) years of progressively responsible supervisory experience in the urban planning field; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification preferred.
Skills, Work Environment and Hours
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles of community and urban planning.
- Knowledge of Federal and State laws relating to planning and urban development.
- Knowledge of planning, mapping and graphic techniques.
- Knowledge of techniques used in preparing, monitoring, and updating a long-range master plan.
- Knowledge of Building and Inspection Services.
- Knowledge in the ability to use GIS.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining good working relationships with City employees and the public.
- Skill in applying statistical tools in data.
- Skill in preparing clear and concise written reports.
- Skill in collecting, tabulating and analyzing demographic statistics.
- Skill in working under the pressure of rigid and/or short work cycle.
- Skill in prioritizing tasks and/or work assignments.
- Skill in maintaining a degree of confidentiality.
- Skill in drafting, cartography and preparation of visual materials used in City planning operations and group presentations.
- Ability to explain and enforce City policies.
- Ability to write a wide variety of planning related documents.
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings, site plans and city ordinances.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, tact, and diplomacy in all public interaction.
- Ability to speak to and maintain public confidence and interest.
- Ability to work with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
The physical demands involve crawling, crouching, driving, far acuity, feeling, manual dexterity, handling, hearing, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, near acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, stooping, talking, visual acuity, and walking. May be required to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The worker is subject to inside environmental conditions: protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperamental changes (i.e. warehouses, covered loading docks, garages, etc). The worker is subject to outside environmental conditions: no effective protection from the weather. The employee works in a safe and secure work environment that may periodically have unpredicted requirements or demands.
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., with night meetings and occasional weekend work as required.
Emergency Management Responsibilities
Note: During emergency conditions, all City employees are automatically considered emergency service workers. City employees are subject to being called to work in the event of a disaster, such as hurricane, or other emergency situations and are expected to perform emergency service duties as assigned.
*The City of Deerfield Beach values the service veterans and their family members have given to our country, and supports the hiring of returning service members and military spouses. *
*The City of Deerfield Beach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer*
Application Website: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/deerfieldbeach/jobs/3421869/assistant-director-planning-and-development?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs